Thursday, November 3, 2011
Picking Out Land
Choosing your land site can be very time consuming, but, if done right it is very rewarding.
There seem to be plenty of 10-15 acre lots that leave you still within a stones throw of your neighbor. Long and thin is not ideal unless you plan on city-type living, as you will still hear all that your neighbors say and do. Width is a good thing as it is easier to keep septic tanks, water tanks, neighbors, and their animals well away from each other.
You also want to check the water supply. I have a very deep well that feeds off of an aquifer coming from East Texas. I have a better water source than most of the cities and towns that surround me, but I have only one small wet weather pond. If you're going to have livestock a pond is a must, and if I were to do this over I would seek out a spring fed pond.
Speaking of wet weather, it is good to look at your land when it is wet if possible. John and I purchased during a drought and then the next fall, winter, and spring we received lots of rain. All of our chosen possible building sites flooded very quickly leaving us with very few choices and still needing to bring in soil to build.
Having utilities already present is definitely a big plus. Water wells run about $10k, septics $6-9k, and electricity $2-5K depending on how close the nearest transformer and existing poles are. We had none of these and let me tell you it adds up very quickly and can prolong the building process.
Driveways are very expensive too, but I feel that a farm house should be back off the road at least 500 to 600 feet. Just putting road base down on 650 feet cost us $4000 and that was with a $1000 discount for starting the job immediately.
Other things to consider are hospital, gas station and grocery store proximity. We have everything within 8 miles of us and for me that is close enough. Also find out what permits will be required. We only needed a septic permit because we live in a "county" and not a town.
John and I both agree that if we were to start over with a new piece of land we would choose one that had an existing farm house and LOTS more acreage because we now suffer from acreage envy. It happens.
Coming up next: Is Mesquite Really a Tree?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my goodness I didn't realize how expensive all that stuff was! You could always buy out Charlie ;)
ReplyDeleteWe have had that thought. If only Charlie had waited one more year to move out here. And someone just bought the little house that I wanted. Maybe God has something else for us.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Editor, thank you. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! Oh and I'm thinking God has a plan for you to follow your daughter north and we can build giant farms next to each other ;)
ReplyDelete