Mesquite is one of the banes of my existence.
Previously, my only knowledge of mesquite was that it was something desirable in my charcoal. I didn't know, for instance, that it has thorns that rival the ones Jesus had thrust into his head. John and I called it a Jesus bush for lack of knowing what it was at first. Most of the mesquite on my land are thorny bushes that tear at your skin and clothes. No matter how many times you cut them and rip them from the ground, 1 month later they are back.
If you should have the bad luck of getting one of the thorns stuck in an appendage you will quickly discover that they have some kind of chemical defense that will swell a finger or toe to twice its size for at least a week or two.
Mesquite will also produce bean pods in the spring. I am told by the locals that settlers would grind them for use with coffee and flour as an additive or substitute. I'm not that brave or desperate...yet.
Never, and I mean never, send mesquite through a chipper. The thorns don't chip, they scatter, and you will cease to have a lawnmower, go-cart, wheel barrow, or utility cart with air in the tires. Even "green goo" can't keep them inflated. I need mesquite proof tires.
I do have mature mesquite "trees" on the property topping out between 12 and 15 feet, but all they are to me are water mongering monsters waiting to stick you. This fall/winter project is to begin mass removal to save our oaks. We are praying for rain for many reasons and mesquite burning is one of them.
next: "Shower Toads", "The Blessing of Great Neighbors", and "Shifting Attitudes with Nature"
No comments:
Post a Comment